I can't believe we're already in August. The year is just flying past so quickly.
So, here we are again with more books finding their way onto my shelves. When I went to the Post Office on Monday I was expecting just 2 parcels, but walked out with 4 instead. eBay has been coming in clutch over the last few months for older books that are just ridiculously expensive on Amazon (yes, I would order from independent bookshops however not only are they generally more expensive, but the shipping is unbelievable in Australia).
The Color Purple by Alice Walker is a book that I remember from Yr 8 English (way back in the 1990s) and I vaguely remember that I wasn't a fan. Perhaps it was the content, perhaps it was the way it was taught, or maybe - and most likely - a combination of the two, but apart from not enjoying the book we were also made to watch the movie. Not a great movie for Yr 8s. I'm hoping that this time around I will get more out of the book, picking up on the undercurrents and subtleties more than I did at 13.
Next there is The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley and The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy. More modern classics to add to my list. And while I have no knowledge of The Camomile Lawn apart from what I read online when searching for it, The Forsyte Saga is a name I remember from my teen years as I remember that the BBC had made that into a mini-series. I have not seen that (at least I don't think so), and after I finish the book I must remember to track down a copy.
Then there is my charming 1889 edition of Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. This was the highlight of my recent eBay searching, and to find it for less than $20 (inc. shipping) was quite the score. It has been just over 8 years since I first read the book - I know, I checked - and I find myself still thinking about it regularly. Surprised that I only gave it 4 stars, but I'll wait until I reread it before messing with my ratings ;D
Anyway, these are the books that arrived in the mail this week. I have been organising the pile of books I've bought over the last 6 months (not all of them, but a good selection) for an upcoming video, and with the new shelves I have come to realise that I really need to go through all my books and be vicious and weed out the books I don't want, have outgrown, are no longer interested in reading from my TBR, or have just hung onto for some reason. So far the donate pile is about 300+, but honestly I should get rid of at least 1000 more. I gave up counting my books in about 2015 and I stopped at just over 3600. Hope my local thrift shops, library and school book drive have room for me.
So, that's it. Let me know if you have any video ideas for me, or if you have any recommendations. I love hearing from you.
Thanks for stopping by, and until I see you next time,


No comments:
Post a Comment