June 30, 2012

Review - Kiss the Dead

Kiss the Dead
Laurell K Hamilton
01 June 2012



When a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it’s up to U.S. Marshal Anita Blake to find her. And when she does, she’s faced with something she’s never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people—kids, grandparents, soccer moms—all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving a master. And where there’s one martyr, there will be more…
 
But even vampires have monsters that they’re afraid of. And Anita is one of them…


My response...

This series has been a pain in the butt in recent years, and after being a faithful follower since the late 90's, I have been reluctant to read the last few.  So, instead of pre-ordering, I reserved a copy from my local library.  Yesterday I picked up my book and when I got home I was still a bit reluctant to read it.  Thank God I did!

KtD was so much like her earlier books, that apart from 2 or 3 sex scenes, it was like reading Anita at her best.  I think it was because of the involvement of RPIT, and Anita being back to her Marshal-ling ways.  We find Anita chin-deep in vampire trouble again, only this time it seems to be aimed at her.  The storyline is complete, not jumping here and there, and once again it is set in St. Louis.  No flying for this Vampire Executioner.  I liked the fast pace of the story, and like a most of the recent books, it's set over a few days, not weeks.

For those on Team J-C, he does have a few scenes with Anita and Asher.  But don't get me started on Asher... he was a total dick this time round.  I don't want to give it away so I won't tell you what happens, but lets just say that J-C, Anita and everyone else, have reached the end of their tethers with the pouty vampire.  His latest actions have serious consequences for him, and possibly set up a new story arc.

Micah and Nathaniel are prominent fixtures, and surprisingly Richard only gets a mention once or twice.  It was nice not to have to go through all the angst of the self-hating Richard.  Anita has a new twist to her powers, and there is a new Marshall in town.  Marshall Larry Kirkwood (Anita's one time trainee) is back and boy is he a pain in the arse... both him and his wife are.  Det. Arnett, that obsessive man-stealing cop is back.  She's still ragging on Anita about her relationship with Nathaniel, and has a real grudge against Anita.  I foresee this only getting worse - if I was Anita I would want to knock her on her arse after their latest confrontation.  I was pleased to see that Dolph has settled down - he's almost back to his old self! - and what can I say about Zerbrowski?  He's still the same guy we've always know.  Oh, and for all those wondering, there is no Ted cameo.  Sorry :D

So, after being disillusioned with this series, I will wait for the paperback and add it to my collection.  And while it wasn't up to the classic Anita (pre-ardeur), it was refreshing to not be skipping pages as Anita was off boffing one of her harem.  If LKH keeps that side of Anita's life in the background (perhaps mentioned, but not in full on chapter sized details) I'll be a happy camper again.  If you liked Narcissus in Chains then you'll probably enjoy this one too.


No comments:

Post a Comment