January 31, 2018

#T5W is back with Hidden Gems






Hello there!  Yes, I've finally decided to get back into Top 5 Wednesday.  This week we are exploring Hidden Gems.  Your favourite books in your favourite genre that don't get a lot of hype.

Now some of these books I have never seen on BookTube, while others make a rare appearance, but they all have one thing in common - they are all some of my favourite Urban Fantasy series.  I've put the book synopsis down below for your convenience.  So without further ado, here are my Top 5 Favourite Urban Fantasy Hidden Gems








 


White Tiger
Dark Heavens #1
Kylie Chan

Action, Intrigue,
Demons and Dragons

Emma Donahoe has just started her new job as a nanny to Simone, the daughter of John Chen, a very rich Hong Kong businessman.  She understands that Simone may be a target for kidnappers but she does not expect to be drawn into a world of martial arts, magic and extreme danger, where both gods and demons can exist in the mortal domain.

When John and his American bodyguard, Leo, teach Emma their particular style of martial arts, they begin to realise that Emma herself is more than she seems...






Gladiatrix
Kannon Dupree: Timestalker
Rhonda Roberts

Nothing like thinking in terms of millennia
to stop you focusing on your own problems

When time travel was invented, everyone thought it would solve their problems.  But for 22-year-old Kannon, it's about to turn her life upside down.

Left for dead in the Blue Mountains when she was just a baby, Kannon has now discovered that an American Time Marshal, Victoria Dupree, could be her real mother.  But Victoria has gone missing in ancient Rome while investigating the Hierophant, the mysterious leader of the Isis cult.

Kannon desperately wants to find Victoria, but the US National Time Administration is standing in her way...






Angels' Blood
Guild Hunter #1
Nalini Singh

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best - but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job.  Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option - even if the task is impossible.

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track.  It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other - and pull her to the razor's edge of passion.  Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just might.  For when archangel's play, mortals break...





US cover

Full Moon Rising
Riley Jenson, Guardian #1
Keri Arthur

A rare hybrid of vampire and werewolf, Riley Jenson and her twin brother, Rhoan, world for Melbourne's Directorate of Other Races, and organisation created to police the supernatural races - and protect humans from their depredations.  While Rhoan is an exalted guardian, aka assassin, Riley is merely an office worker - until her brother goes missing on one of his missions.  The timing couldn't be worse.  More werewolf than vampire, Riley is vulnerable to the moon heat, the weeklong period before the full moon, when her need to mate becomes all-consuming...

Luckily Riley has two willing partners to satisfy her every need.  But she will have to control her urges if she's going to find her brother...





Original UK edition

A Kiss of Shadows
Merry Gentry #1
Laurell K Hamilton

My name is Meredith Gentry, but of course it's not my real name.  I dare not even whisper my true name after dark for fear that one hushed word will travel over the night winds to the soft ear of my aunt, the Queen of Air and Darkness.  She wants me dead.  I don't even know why.

I fled the high court of Faerie three years ago, and have been hiding ever since.  I ran as far as the land would take me, stopped only by the shore of the Pacific Ocean and the fact that if I'd used my passport the Bureau of Human and Fey Affairs would have been notified, and they would have told my relatives.  And my relatives would have killed me.  As Merry Gentry, I am a private investigator for the Grey Detective Agency: Supernatural Problems, Magic Solutions.  My magical skills, which are scorned at the courts of Faerie, are valued in the human world.  Even by human standards, my magic isn't flashy.  Fine by me.  Flashy attracts too much attention, and I can't afford that.  Sightings of the Princess Meredith are now more popular than Elvis sightings.

Rumor has it that I'm dead.  Not quite.  I am Princess Meredith NicEssus, and if you read that name after dark, you will call down a knock upon your door from a hand that can kill you with a touch.  I have been so careful, but not careful enough.  The shadows have found me, and they are going to take me back home, one way or another.

The running is over.  The fighting has just begun...




Well, what did you think?  Do you want to pick up any of these series?  I know I want to start rereading them ;-D  If you have read any of these books, let me know in the comments what you thought of them.

Anyway, that's all for today.  I'm off to get a nice cup of tea and pick up a book.

So until next time,
 




https://youtu.be/

No comments:

Post a Comment