February 1, 2010

Audio Fix

Okay, I'm now doing something that I never thought I'd do... yep, that's right - I'm listening to audio books!
Since I'm spending part of my days studying, and while I do my vocational placement I end up shelving for quite a while.  So when I suck it up and head out to shelve, I now have my iPod {thank you Santa!} to keep me sane.  I've loaded it up with music, but that can get a bit embarassing in public.  I've been caught more than once either humming away to a song, or quitely singing to myself.  Doh!  The solution was given to me by one of my supervisors.  Sarah told me while we were stocktaking the collection that she listens to audio books.  I thought this was a novel idea, so for the last few weeks I've been hunting for some titles that I think I'd like.

The best ones so far are the Stephanie Plum books read by Lorelai King.  I started with To the Nines, and after the first few sentences I was hooked.  Lula is hysterically funny in audio, and it's a good way to just tune out when doing a boring job.  My only problem was that there wasn't a man doing the Morelli and Ranger voices, but in all, Lorelai does a wonderful job.  I've managed to get my hands on a few of them.  I'm waiting for One for the Money, Two for the Dough and Three to get Deadly (abridged unfortunately) to arrive from Amazon.com - you know I love that place! - and Eleven on Top.  I have Hard Eight, Lean Mean Thirteen and Visions of Sugar Plums already.  I just wish they were in the MP3 CD format.  I'd borrowed a friends copy of A Lick of Frost (LKH), and it was already done.  In chapter form.  It was fabulous.  No mess, no fuss, just load it onto the iPod.  I wish all audio books had the option of being MP3 format.  It would certainly make my life a little easier.

Oh, and if you want to rip an LKH audiobook CD to put onto your iPod, forget it.  There was about 100 tracks just for the first CD of Micah.  That means your either going to have a hell of a lot of tracks on your iPod, or you've got to fiddle around in an audio editor to put them together.  Not really worth it if you have 16 CD's to combine now is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment