September 3, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday - Fictional Schools



Welcome to another Top 5 Wednesday.  This week we have to list our Top 5 Fictional Schools, and let me tell you this was hard!  I'm not a huge collector of YA, so I had to hunt through piles of books to find any references to schools that I would consider list-worthy (or at least intersting).  It took me about an hour, but I finally managed to put together a list, so without further ado, I give you my Top 5 Fictional Schools...



 Hecate Hall
This is the setting for the interesting YA book (and series) Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins.  I remember reading it and thinking that this school was not the best place to be, yet I would love to wander around and take a peek ;-D


Unseen University
Nunc id vides, nunc ne vides.  Now you seem me, now you don't.  
With a school motto like that, how could you resist?  From the Discworld series created by Terry Pratchett, Unseen University is a weird crazy place to be.  I haven't read any of these books in years, but I have a recollection that this would be a cool place to visit.  Must find and re-read soon ;-D




Guild Academy
The Guild Academy features in the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh.  It is not just a school for children, it is also the place where Vampire Hunters learn their skills, and come back and teach.  I'd love to sit in on an advanced class with Elena - and perhaps getting a peak at the Archangel Raphael.




Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality
This is the school that features in this YA Steampunk series by Gail Carriger.  I came to this series because I loved her Parasol Protectorate books so much that I couldn't resist revisiting the world she created.  In this seemingly innocent bording  school, the girls are taught how to become master spies... steampunk spies ;-D  Awesome!  Miss Carriger is an amazingly talented author who creates some of the best toys... did I mention that there are dirigibles? ... and werewolves?  Sign me up now!




Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Seriously, could the number 1 choice be anything but Hogwarts?!  Yes, I'm sure nearly everyone has this listed as their #1 so I'm not really breaking the mold here.  Hogwarts is awesome.  End of story ;-D




So those were my Top 5 Fictional Schools.  There are probably a few that I just can't think of as most of my YA books are still in the family home, but I hope you've enjoyed this post anyway.  If you want to leave a link to your Top 5 post in the comment section down below I'd love to see what your favourite fictional schools were.  

If you want further information on the Top 5 Wednesday - started by the wonderful gingerreadslainey - then head on over to Goodreads {here} and join the fun!

Until next time,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment