April 25, 2015

Huge Book Order for April

Yes, I know that I really should be used to this by now.  However I was not technically on a book buying ban - wouldn't even delude myself by trying to attempt one - so I can take some comfort in that.

I have ordered more than a few books from my favourite online retailers (my local chain store bookshop has a poor range) and I had two discount vouchers to use as well which made the damage done to my wallet slightly less.

My spending has been reasonable so far this month, but today I went a tad overboard.  I couldn't go down to celebrate ANZAC Day as I'm sick, and I didn't want to either a) give it to anyone else, or b) catch something that will make me feel worse, so naturally I ended up online.  Today wasn't supposed to be about buying books.  I just wanted to catch up on some YouTube and do a few other bits and pieces.  But did that happen?  NO!  Last night my mother asked me to get a book for her so it all started from that request. 

Today I managed to order...


The Hobbit - Tolkien
The Return on the King - Tolkien {both these Tolkien books are beautiful cloth-bound editions!}
A Darker Shade of Magic - V. E. Schwab
The Winter Sea - Susanna Kearsley
Heraclix & Pomp - Forrest Aguirre
MOAB is my Washpot - Stephen Fry *
The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides *
Lady Audley's Secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon *
Cut Throat - Sharon Sala {this was mum's request!} *


On Thursday I went a little mad and ordered,
A Blight of Mages - Karen Miller
Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle {Barnes & Noble leather editions!}
The Arabian Nights
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

and earlier in the month I ordered - and am still waiting for mind you - these titles;


The Shining - Stephen King *
Tennant of Wildfell Hall - Emily Bronte
Shirley - Charlotte Bronte
Hounded - Kevin Hearne
Wolfsbane - Patricia Briggs
Air Bound - Christine Feehan

And I am still waiting for The Dragon of Despair* by Jane Lindskold to find it's way into my post box as I ordered it over 4 weeks ago!

* AbeBooks {I can now finally find my OOP editions, God bless them!}

Amongst this rather large amount of books that will be winging their way to me during May I have tried a few new editions.  There are some Penguin English Library books.  I just love the spines and the lovely almost suede feeling of the covers!  As mentioned, the Sherlock Holmes volume is one of those gorgeous B&N leather bound editions with the gilding.  Today I seemed to have a thing for hardcovers, so I hope that they have that they have dust jackets, and there is also a smattering of my usual mass market paperbacks.  Yes, I know that they're quite delicate as the spines almost always break, but they are reasonably priced which matters a hell of a lot when books cost so much in Australia! 

I could tally up all the money I've spent on books this month, but I think I'd keel over in shock.  Thankfully I was able to use some 10% off vouchers - thank you Book Depository! -  and Booktopia always has some amazing bargains.  Even op shops have some great titles.  I found my The Fry Chronicles - hardcover! - at a local thrift shop for $4 last year! 


Speaking of thrift shops, I nearly forgot to mention the great books I found yesterday when I went looking for some cheap bowls {I use them for plant saucers - they look nicer and are easier to keep clean inside!}.  As soon as I walked in the door I was sidetracked by the books.  I haven't been to my local St. Vinnie's in months, and I'm so glad I went because I found a couple of books that I've been meaning to get - as well as one that I'd just put in my wishlist!

As per usual, I spent more time and money on the books than I did on the items I actually went for.

Well, I think I've spent enough.  Have to leave you all as I'll just want to start compiling another cart full of books if I keep thinking about them for much longer ;-D 

Okay, must go watch a DVD to take my mind off this dead tree purchasing ...

Until next time,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment