December 31, 2015

2015 End of Year Book Survey



Well, it's that time of the year again.  Time to reflect on the year that was, and to share my highlights - and misses - of 2015.

Enjoy!

NOTE: actually read 109 new books.  Fuzzy Nation was not included for some reason, but have since amended this on Goodreads.


Re-read: well over 30  

Including the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh, All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, Arcane Society/Harmony series by Jayne Castle (Jayne Ann Krentz) and both the Drake Sisters and Sea Haven books by Christine Feehan.






Best Book You Read In 2015?  

Really, is it a surprise to anyone?  I don't usually read Sci-fi, but after watching some rave reviews from BookTube, I decided to give it a go and was totally surprised at how easy it was to read, and blown away by the story.  Can't wait to watch the movie!


 

Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?  

From everything I'd heard from BookTube I thought I would love this, but I disliked it intensely.  Has put me off reading Gone Girl - which I wanted to get to before watching the movie.





Favourite new author you discovered in 2015?

Thanks to Lindsey Rey's recommendations I read my first John Scalzi way back in January.  I loved Fuzzy Nation!  Fast paced, interesting themes and who could resist those gorgeous fuzzies?

I also discovered I loved Brandon Sanderson.  Devoured trilogy over a weekend!





Favourite cover of a book you read in 2015?

Really, who can choose just one cover?  These are the books that appealed to me the most as I was going through images of all the book covers I have.




Most memorable character of 2015?

Yep, I just can't seem to single out any other character apart from Mark Watney.





Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
H.G. Wells




Biggest Shock of the Year
(Plot twist, character death, etc)

Was loving this right up until those two deaths at the end of the book.  Had me ranting and raving to family and friends for weeks afterwards!



Book that was laugh out loud funny?
click to read passage ;-D
I always have a good laugh while reading any of the Stephanie Plum books.  Usually it's because of something that either Grandma Mazur or Lula has said.  Perhaps one of the funniest moments is in Fingerlickin' Fifteen (re-read) when Lula becomes lodged in the window of a car after shooting at the some of the antagonists.




The book that made you cry a river of tears?

Yes, I know that this is a children's book, but having grown up with a grandfather who was a child during the Great War makes me associate this period of time with him.  I hear the song, read the lyrics and that's it.  I'm bawling.




What book/author will you be recommending to everyone?

This was the first book I read in 2015, and even though it was quite short I still felt hesitant.  I hadn't seen the movie (thankfully!),  but I did want to try something by Truman Capote.  Am so happy that I decided to just dive right in.  I loved it.  The writing was beautiful, and by the end I just wanted to find out exactly what happened to Holly Golightly.





So, that was my reading year in a nutshell.  I hope you had a great literary year - and discovery many fabulous book in 2016!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment