January 3, 2014

It's too hot!

It's heatwave time again in Australia.  I'm sitting on the couch finishing up my cup of tea (toast went ages ago), so that I can have most of my chores and errands done before 10am, when it really starts to heat up.  Queensland is being fried as the temperatures this week have his 48°c in some places, like Birdsville and Bedourie.  I'm frazzled just dealing with 38°c!  I don't know how they're surviving out there...industrial air-conditioning I suppose?

The heat has meant that a lot of self imposed New Year's projects have been put on hiatus until the weather behaves.  I was planning to get give the balcony a right royal scrubbing - and de-spidering - but I nearly melted when I spent 20 minutes out there yesterday hanging the clothes on the line!  I was also planning on starting a bigger quilt (about twice the size of the one I did for mum), but there is no way I'm going to sit at the sewing machine for hours in this heat.  Perhaps it's time I seriously considered getting some air-conditioning... or move to Tasmania? ;-D

My cats seem to be handling the heat.  Evie Nyx has a thing about lying in the bathroom's sink, when possible, while my old Titchy just settles down on her armchair which I've tucked beside a large bookshelf.  She's happy enough to just snooze the day away.  The weatherman has said that this extreme heat is supposed to hang around until at least the middle of next week (ugh!), but I'm hoping that we're not going to go straight from a heatwave into flooding.  For the past two summers here, it's flooded each January.  

I hope your New Year is getting off to a better start than mine.  I'm off to the store to stock up on some cooling ice cream ;-D

Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment