August 27, 2014

Top 5 Wednesday - Top Spines



It's amazing to see that with all the effort put into cover art these days, that more often than not the spines are forgotten.  When this topic was picked as this weeks Top 5, I went to my bookshelves to find my favourite covers, thinking that their spines would be great too.  Wrong!  Then it became the mad dash to ransack my shelves so I could find 5 very beautiful - or interesting - spines.  It was tough, but I give you my Top Spines (in no particular order) ;-D



A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
I love the simple colours, the Bodleian Library picture is awesome, and the seal and smoke all add that air of mystery that surrounds the story.  It is very representative of the first book in the trilogy.


Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
While not on my all-time-favourites list, the spine of the book is very self explanatory.  You have fantasy and dragons.  Enough said.  Love the aged red with the golden eye at the top just staring at you.  Even the dragon down the bottom is gorgeous.

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
Just bought this book yesterday so while I haven't read it yet, the spine is as gorgeous as the cover.  Love the blue, gold and red colour scheme that includes those touches of white in the font.  Not sure if it is in line with the story, but definitely looks great on my shelves.





The Lily Bard Mysteries Omnibus by Charlaine Harris
What can I say about this spine?  I love cover art that runs from front to back cover.  This is one of the few hardcovers that I own that does that.  I love the blue tones, and the fact that the dumbbell and feather duster are the symbols that represent Lily Bard.  Thankfully having all five stories bound in one large omnibus has allowed for the cover designer to do the series justice.  Love it!




The Hobbit (Anniversary Edition) by J.R.R. Tolkien
My favourite would have to be The Hobbit.  While not the most colourful, the wrap-around cover makes the most stylized of artwork.  In regards to the spine, I love the simple colour scheme, and the gold embossing used for both the publishers logo, and Tolkien's stylized mark.  From the forrest path to the entrance to the Lonely Mt, this spine shows you the journey that must be taken.  

 


So those are the Top 5 Spines I have in my collection to date.  I hope you've enjoyed this post, and if you leave a link to your Top 5 post in the comment section down below I'd love to see what your favourite spines were.  If you want further information on Top 5 Wednesday - started by the wonderful gingerreadslainey - then head on over to Goodreads {here}.

Until next time,
 


No comments:

Post a Comment