September 25, 2015

T5W || All the pretty little fonts



This week on T5W, we are exploring our favourite title fonts.  Why do we buy the books we do?  Is it because of the cover images only, or does the title design (i.e., the font) also sucker you into an unexpected purchase?  Let's see.

I spent a couple of days pondering the covers of some of my favourite books, and my TBR shelves, trying to figure out what made these books so attractive to me.  I decided that in the end, yes, the font of the title - and it's design, relative to the cover art - does play a big part in why I'm attracted to the book, because as much as I wish I could say otherwise, I will go out of my way to find the exact edition that I find most attractive (within reason ;-D).


#5 - Love the use of colour, and the playful design that matches the cover art illustrations.  The mixture of fonts also makes it quite pleasing to looks at.

#4 - ah, Locke Lamora.  Part of the reason I bought this UK edition was the fonts (well, that and the cover art).  It gives me the impression of a mysterious story and I'm hoping to get to this soon.

#3 - I couldn't resist this edition of Lady Audley's Secret when I first saw it online.  I eventually tracked down a copy on AbeBooks as I loved the swirly lettering that was covering the page.  And, yes, the title (embellishments included) is all one continuous line - I checked!

#2 - it was a toss up between this edition of The Shining, and one of the Knickerbocker Classics, and I chose The Shining because I found the dual fonts to be a little more engaging than only using  a simple, clean font.  For some reason this works for me.

#1 - what can I say?  This is such an amazingly beautiful font for a title.  I enjoy calligraphy, and Illuminated Manuscript, so I am in bookworm heaven looking at this.  I don't have a copy at the moment as I'm waiting for the postman to deliver it, but I had to include it as my top title font.



Thank you for checking out my T5W list.  Which of these books do you think has the best title font?  I'd love to hear from you so leave a comment below.  

As always, T5W was created by the lovely Lainey over at GINGERREADSLAINEY and I'll include a link to the Goodreads group {HEREif you would also like to participate. 

Until next time, 

No comments:

Post a Comment