August 28, 2012

Review: Nightshifted

 
Nightshifted
Unknown series Bk 1
Cassie Alexander

Released: 22 May, 2012
St. Martin's Press, Mass Market Paperback, 341 p.
ISBN: 9780312553395

Welcome to the secret wing of County Hospital—where vampires get transfusions, werewolves have silver allergies, and one nurse is in way over her head…

Nursing school prepared Edie Spence for a lot of things. Burn victims? No problem. Severed limbs? Piece of cake. Vampires? No way in hell. But as the newest nurse on Y4, the secret ward hidden in the bowels of County Hospital, Edie has her hands full with every paranormal patient you can imagine—from vamps and were-things to zombies and beyond…
 
I found this book while trolling through Amazon and the cover looked great.  There were some negative reviews, but I ignored them and bought myself a copy not long after... a mistake I won't make again.

The Good

Ummm, let me think.  I liked the idea of having a human/mortal nurse working in a paranormal hospital that sits underneath a county hospital.  I loved the other nurses that shared the ward with Edie, especially Meaty, the seemingly gender neutral mortal who seems to be part nurse, part bouncer.  Edie's relationship with the resident zombie was a new twist.  I don't ever remember reading about a love interest that was a zombie so kudos for the pairing.  However these were the only positives of this book for me.

The Bad

Where do I start?  I didn't like our heroine Edie.  There, I've said it.  She was a neurotic tart who couldn't seem to keep her knees together and her panties on!  Okay, that may be a tad harsh, but I really don't like slutty characters unless they are an essential part of the storyline.  I know that one night stands are common place in contemporary literature, but adding unprotected sex?  I am so out of there.

I also found that the storyline didn't really work for me.  There were a few arcs going on, and I would have rather read about some of them than what I got.

Overall impression?

If I bother to read the next book - and that's a big if ladies and gentlemen - I'll be borrowing it from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment