May 1, 2013

Book Review: And Then She Fell

And Then She Fell
Cynster Novel, Book 19
First of the Cynster Sisters Duo - Henrietta's story
Stephanie Laurens

Released March 25, 2013


Avon Books, Mass Market Paperback,
ISBN: 978-0-06-206864-4




The only thing more troublesome than a Cynster man ...is a Cynster lady who believes love is not her destiny.

Famously known in London society as "The Matchbreaker," Henrietta Cynster's uncanny skill lies in preventing ill-fated nuptials - not in falling victim to Cupid's spell.

But then she disrupts one match too many and feels honor-bound to assist dashing James Glossup in finding a suitable bride for a marriage of convenience.

A task infernally complicated by the undeniable, unquenchable attraction that flares between James and Henrietta, who continues to believe she will never fall...



I feel like such an idiot.  I'd written up the basics so that when the book arrived I could just add my thoughts, et voila! review posted.  Then life and other things got in the road and as I was looking through my postings I wondered what I still had in draft form.  Can't believe I did this, sorry!

So what did I think about the latest installment of the Cynster dynasty?  Well, it was more or less like any other of the female Cynster books!  They're all obsessed with the necklace and how it will help them meet their perfect man.  Okay, Henrietta not so much, but her sister is so ready to get her hands on it!

James Glossup was first made known to us in Simon and Portia's story, The Perfect Lover, and although I'd hoped to read his story, I had no idea that Stephanie Laurens would be trying to tied up and marry off all the characters within her books, therefore linking not only families, but merging the series as well.  Not sure whether or not I like that idea, but there have been one or two good surprises, like the Earl of Glencrae, who had not yet shown their faces in the world of the Cynsters.

Like all of the books, I did make an emotional connection to Henrietta and James, but the constant barrage of attacks on the members of the Cynster family are starting to feel just a tad unrealistic.  I know, it's a story and the author can write whatever she wants, but this is just starting to feel like been there, read that!  How many attacks could you get on a family before everyone just up and left town?  I mean, seriously!  Every female Cynster has been attacked, kidnapped or ... something.  Perhaps a change in plot is in order?

I'm hoping that the last book - due in June I think - will be the end of this world, but I can see Ms. Laurens sneaking in stories here and there through other characters mentioned.  Plus there are still books to go in the Barnaby Adair Case Files series aren't there!

All in all, I did enjoy this book.  It wasn't as captivating as say, Mastered by Love, or Devil's Bride, because we just know the ins and outs of the family and all it's connections by now.  Perhaps Stephanie will finally give us the stories on how Martin, Arthur and George married their brides?

Great for when you want a light read, with no overly complicated plot lines.  I'd recommend that you have at least a rough knowledge of the series, but you can read it as a stand alone if you choose to.


No comments:

Post a Comment